Saturday 25 August to Saturday 1 September 2018
Claire is passionate about teaching yoga, meditation and massage and their many therapeutic and remedial uses. It’s been a way of life for her for more than 25 years.
She comes with a wealth of teaching experience in both yoga and meditation, primarily focused on women's health. Claire currently teaches classes for women through all stages of their life and has even run sessions for women in recovery from cancer. In addition, her approach is very much from a remedial perspective in which she sees yoga being available to everybody.
In addition to her yoga capabilities, Claire has studied meditation within the Tibetan Buddhist tradition for many years as well as being a qualified mindfulness for stress relief teacher. It's this presence and focus that she brings to all her teachings and infuses all her sessions with mindful awareness.
Having been a 'secret writer' for many years, Claire will also be offering conscious journaling and mindful writing activities within the 2018 retreat. Writing is a way of reconnecting to what's real for us - making the unspoken manifest and along the way, it brings many insights. Giving voice to the unseen and writing through our bodies is Claire's way of getting pen to paper. No writing skills are necessary, as the sessions will offer writing prompts and jumping off points to inspire making a mark on the blank page. Claire delights in making all that she offers fun and inviting.
Claire’s style of teaching is very eclectic, borne out of studying and training in various traditions over the years across the UK and in many other areas of Europe and extensively in the USA. She brings a sense of humour and imagination to her teaching to make it accessible to everyone.
The sessions at The Watermill at Posara will be friendly and welcoming and no prior experience of yoga or meditation is necessary: all levels from beginner to intermediate will be catered for and we’ll also tailor our sessions to your particular needs. The classes are secular (non-denominational).
Claire says: “My aim is to offer classes that are fresh and inspirational, always being informed by the latest developments in yoga, meditation and mindfulness practices.”
Claire adds: “I am not aligned with any particular yoga school / tradition or teacher, as this allows me the freedom to be able to practise and teach the yoga that is respectful of who I am, which in turn, allows me to be respectful of the needs of my students.
“However, one teacher in particular stands out above all others for encouraging a sense of integrity to both the practice and teaching of yoga, and that is Angela Farmer. I am indebted to the work of both Angela Farmer and Victor van Kooten for their creativity and inspiration. Their approach helped me to find my own way within both the practice and the teaching of this art and to find the confidence to release myself from the confines of rigidity, instead replacing it with flow.”
Claire has extensive training and teaching credentials which ensure that she is able to provide a fresh approach, based on current teaching methodologies and research. See Qualifications below.
Here are some of Claire’s qualifications. Please note that this list is not exhaustive and is simply a highlight of a few of her favourites!
- Yoga For Health Foundation - (Philosophy, Psychology, Physiology, Breathing & Energy Practices & Physical Postures of Yoga)
- Yoga for Health Foundation - Remedial Training (covering MS, Parkinsons, Cancer)
- BTEC Advanced Diploma - Edexcel - Teaching Yoga to Children
- Anatomy with Gary Carter
- Birthlight - Various
- Total Yoga Nidra Foundation
- CPD study days over the last 25+ years encompassing a wide variety of teaching skills and modalities with many teachers too numerous to mention or even list here!
- Gestalt Group Faciliation Skills
- 3-Year Buddhist Dharma Studies via Samye Ling / Ken Holmes
Meditation & Mindfulness Training
- Meditation Teacher Training – Swami Saradananda
- Rolf Sovik (Himalayan Institute)
- Introduction to ACT (Action & Commitment Therapy) - Dennis Tirch
- Masterclass in Mindfulness Based Childbirth & Parenting (Oxford Mindfulness Centre)
- Shamatha (Calm Abiding) – Maarten Vermaase
- Lojong (7 Points of Mind Training) – Maarten Vermaase
- Vipayshana - Maarten Vermaase
- Mindfulness Teacher Training – Shamash Alidina
- Mindfulness Mentoring - Shamash Alidina
- Mindful Motherhood Professional Training (Institute of Noetic Sciences)
- Sally Kempton - Vijnanya Bhairava & various others
- On-going Meditation Development [2011 - 2015] - Maarten Vermaase
- Sit Like a Buddha - Lodro Rinzler / Shambhala Publications
- Mindful Self-Compassion - Steven Hickman & Michelle Becker
ItineraryFor a draft itinerary of our yoga retreats, please visit our Yoga Retreat Itinerary page.
“I was extremely impressed by the beauty of the Watermill itself and of its location. The buildings are beautiful and comfortable and the location is green and luscious. The Watermill itself is surrounded by beautiful grounds and well tended gardens where you can sit or lounge and relax or go for peaceful walks and the only noises you hear are birds, water, and the occasional rutting deer! The yoga studio is airy and peaceful and the yoga tutor was all we could have hoped for. Also, great food and wine. And all, and I mean all, even a meal in a local restaurant and transfers to/from Pisa airport, is included in the price you pay, no hidden costs.”